How can you make a conversation interesting? It’s actually easier than you think but can be hard especially when the person isn’t engaging.
When starting a conversation or attempting to make a conversation interesting, you should always strive to be genuinely interested in the person you’re talking to. It’s also important to be authentic.
Challenge yourself to go beyond the generic and safe questions such as, “Where are you from?” or “Where did you go to college?”.
Strive to impress people with above average questions so you can keep the conversation going, and going, and going. You get the point.
Adjust and adapt your conversation starters based upon who you’re talking to and what kind of social context you’re in.
Protip: Always know, open-ended questions are your friend.
Don’t be afraid to dive deep and learn something new. There are thousands of ways to start a conversation. But below we have some of the best conversation starters (In our opinion) you can use for all kinds of conversations.
Fun conversation starters – Make things interesting.
- What is your favorite Netflix show? Tell me about it.
- What are some of your future travel plans?
- What type of music or songs puts you in a good mood?
Deep Conversation Questions. Get to know someone better.
- What are some personal projects you’re working on?
- What are you looking forward to this weekend?
- Tell me more about your family? What was it like growing up in [location]?
If you’re feeling adventurous. A few funny conversations starters.
- What would your theme song be while walking to work and why?
- Which celebrity would you have dinner with and why?
- How many days do you think it takes you to scroll a mile on your phone? One day? One week?
Conversations for business – Conversation starters for networking.
- Have you tried any of the food? What’s good here? What do you recommend?
- What did you get done today at work?
- I’d love your input on this. Should I have [appetizer #1] or [appetizer #2]? It’s the most important decision I’ve had to make today.
Casual Conversation Starters. Build a bond with the people you meet.
- How’s your [day/night] going? Going as you expected?
- Do you have a go-to conversation starter for these types of events?
- Did you hear about how some dinner party hosts are banning small talk? What do you think of that?
Lastly, sometimes the most powerful way to start a conversation is simply saying, “Hi, my name is ______”. Then have an open-ended question ready to go and you’ll start the greatest conversation of your life.